Dr. Heithaus’ schedule books 2 to 3 weeks in advance.
- Request an appointments through the Patient Portal → Appointments option. To complete scheduling there, you must “Confirm” or “Deny” the appointment. For additional help using the Patient Portal, see our guide to using the Patient Portal.
- Or if you prefer, contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your appointment.
PLEASE NOTE: In-office appointments can not be changed to phone consultations the day of your scheduled appointment.
After medications are first prescribed or if there were changes to your medication schedule, Dr. Heithaus would like to follow up with you in the office within 2 to 4 weeks.
- This helps to ensure proper medications are being prescribed, and will decrease the side effects you may experience.
- If you’re not experiencing adverse side effects and your symptoms improve, a follow up visits will be scheduled within 6-8 weeks.
For patients on maintenance therapy follow up visits need to be scheduled every 3 to 4 months.
If it has been more than 12 months since your last appointment you will need to schedule a 60 minute office visit to ensure your history can be updated and all concerns can be addressed.
Patients are responsible for making an appointment prior to their medication running out. Prescription refills are determined during your appointment and are sent electronically to your preferred pharmacy. Schedule II drugs are highly regulated. Refills will not be provided beyond what was prescribed during your last appointment.
At the completion of your appointment, clarify with Dr. Heithaus how many refills you have scheduled before your next visit. You may also contact the office to inquire about your medication schedule.
How to determine when to schedule your next office visit
If your office visit is Feb. 1, and you’re prescribed 3 months of medication, then expect your pharmacy will receive a transfer of your prescription every 30 days as follows:
- Prescription #1 – Feb. 1
- Prescription #2 – March 2
- Prescription #3 – April 1
Using the example above, you’d want to schedule your next appointment at the end of April as you will be out of medication by May 1.
- Allow 3 to 5 business days for all refills on Medications (although most refills will take less than 48 hours)
- Stimulant Medication Refills: Refill schedules are determine during your appointment. It is the patient’s responsibility to know how many refills they have and to schedule an appointment prior to running out of medication. Contact the office if you have questions.
- Non-Stimulant Medication Refills: Ask your Pharmacy to Fax a Refill Request for non-stimulant medications to 206.350.6697. Email, voicemail or text refill requests sent by the patient will not be accepted.
- Dr Heithaus will not provide maintenance/on-going prescriptions for benzodiazepines (Xanax, lorazepam, clonazepam, diazepam) or Ambien. Patients need to see their Primary Care Provider for these types of medication prescriptions.
- If there is a pattern of requesting refills in between appointments, you will be charged $50 per medication refill request.
If there should be a true emergency where you require a refill, have your pharmacy fax a Refill Request to us at 206.350.6697 and mark it URGENT. If you’ve already picked up Schedule II medication, legally you cannot receive another prescription for 30 days. This includes if medication was left at home and you are traveling elsewhere, if the medication has been lost or spilled. Refills cannot be approved for these situations.
Changing Your Pharmacy
If you’d like your prescription transferred to a different pharmacy, notify our office at least 3 business days before your next refill is scheduled.
If you are not in town to pick up a scheduled prescription, but will run out of medication while gone, contact the office. In most cases, an “early release” approval for your prescription can be requested. Notify the office at least 3 business days to complete this request.
Established patients are able to schedule follow up visits via telephone. In-office appointments will be expected after two phone consultations. Phone consultations are $120 for 30 minutes, $240 for 60 minutes. Please contact the office to get more details.
Consultations via email/text are not offered in this office. If you find that you need to clarify your current treatment plan or have a more complex question regarding your treatment or medication, you may email the office with detailed but concise list of questions pertaining to your current treatment schedule/plan. Requests for changes or additions to your current medication schedule will require you to schedule a follow up appointment.
Authorization to Release Medical Records
A Release of Medical Records must be completed, signed and returned to our office to have your medical records sent to another healthcare provider or to share information between healthcare providers. Please allow three weeks for processing and forwarding your records to a new healthcare provider.